Exclusive Content Curated for STORM
The Way of the Wolf Pack
1. You are always the wolf. New rule: CREATE YOUR OWN PATH!
2. Be grateful & ambitious. New rule: BE GRATEFUL FOR WHAT YOU HAVE & DEMAND WHAT YOU DESERVE! Abby: our gratitude is how power uses the tokenism… BE GRATEFUL & BRAVE!
3. Lead from the bench. New rule: Lead Now from Wherever You Are! Learning how to lead from the bench! If you’re not a leader on the bench, don’t call yourself a leader on the field. You’re allowed to be disappointed when you feel like life‘s benched you. What you aren’t allowed to do is to miss your opportunity to lead from the bench. You’re either a leader everywhere or nowhere. Every woman is a leader of her own life. Leadership is taking care of yourself and empowering others to do the same. If you have a voice, you have influence to spread it. If you know young people you have futures to mold.
4. Make failure your fuel. New rule: Failure Means You’re Finally in the Game. The team is fueled by failure. We insist upon remembering. We know that the lessons of yesterday‘s loss become the fuel for tomorrow’s win. Women haven’t yet accessed the power of failure. When it comes we panic, worst case scenario, we view failure as proof that we are unworthy… Imperfect men have been empowered since the beginning of time.
It is time for imperfect women to grant themselves the power to join them. A champion never allows a short term failure to take her out of the long-term game. A woman who doesn’t give up can and never lose. Wolfpack: try, fail, feel it burn, and then transform it into your fuel.
5. Champion each other! New rule: Be for each other! Maintaining the illusion of scarcity is what keeps is how power keeps women competing for the singular seat at the old table instead of creating a new, bigger table. Revolutions begin with a collective belief. Revolutions are won with collective action. Wolfpack: her victory is your victory, celebrate with her. Your victory is her victory, point at her.
6. Demand the ball! New rule: Believe in yourself, demand the ball! I had always tried to turn down my talent and in my life to avoid outshining others. I thought it was the humble thing to do. I thought my talent might be an affront to others and drive a wedge between my teammates and me. The most inspiring thing on earth is a woman who believes in herself. Who gives 100% and who owns her greatness unapologetically. When you stand up and demand the ball you also give others permission to do the same. The wolf packs collective power begins by unleashing the power of each individual wolf.
7. Wolfpack: Bring it all. New rule: lead with humanity, cultivate leaders. Lead with full humanity and cultivate a team of leaders. Wolfpack: claim your power and bring your full humanity. What the world and our families need is exactly who we are, nothing more nothing less.
8. Find your pack. New rule: you’re not alone, you’ve got your pack. Life is harder as a lone wolf, we all need a pack! Wolfpack: life is not meant to be lived as a lone wolf, we all need a pack!
- An Interview with An AthleteHow does a female athlete rise to the top? Hard work, dedication and perseverance. Mikaela, long-time soccer player, trained with Coach Nora since she was young. She is now at […]
- Fake It Til You Make ItFake it ‘til You Make It. I’ve tried… and fallen short, and tried again. There’s value in learning to pick yourself up and try again. There’s a delicate balance between […]
- What’s STEADY Academy?Founded in 1998, in Chapel Hill, NC, after competing and coaching collegiately at the NCAA Division I level, STEADY became a calling for me to use soccer to empower girls […]
- The STEADY ExchangeWelcome to the STEADY Exchange! This is the place where STEADY staff and special guests share their knowledge about the game, fitness, nutrition, and other issues important to female athletes. […]